LICENSING AND PERMITTING
This Silver Streak Jet 19 trailer was originally purpose built in 1957 for Southern California Edison as a mobile office; much like today’s modified shipping containers. It was never used as a travel trailer/mobile home with toilet of bathing facilities so it was exempt from US HUD (Housing and Urban Development) Certification, therefore automatically Health Department approved before any construction was begun.
During and after construction, the Silver Streak Café was inspected and certified approved to strict CURFFL (California Uniform Retail Food Facilities Law) standards by the State of California and has received its annual inspection sticker by the SLO County Environmental Health Department since 2007 as a MFF (Mobile Food Facility).
The vehicle itself has been registered to us in California since 2004 and comes with a very inexpensive PTI (Permanent Trailer Identification) license plate – only $10 and good for five years per renewal!
Fire Department approved and 2016 stickered 5lb fire extinguisher.
STRUCTURE - OUTSIDE
- New heavy duty trailer axle installed to replace original old drop-style.
- New heavy duty steel wheels.
- New electric brakes and hubs.
- New Goodyear Marathon 10-ply trailer tires in 2015.
- Frame reinforced for structural stability.
- Heavy duty camper step install with slip resistant diamond plate covering and anti-skid tape.
- Purpose built lockable rear trunk for plumbing access and storage for hoses, power cables, jacks and etc..
- Heavy duty nose jack, dolly wheel and massive safety chains.
- Heavy duty 2” ball receptacle replaced original.
- Reese heavy duty adjustable hitch system with weight distribution arms and 2” ball tow package – tracks like a dream!
- Modern uniform 7 wire Reese trailer wiring receptacle plug with heavy duty cable for trailer lights and electric brakes.
- Stainless steel tail/brake light receptacles.
- Side marker lamps replaced with modern DOT approved red and amber LED units.
- Safety wheel chocks for front and sides.
- Set of 4 stabilizing jacks and a full set of leveling blocks for long term placement (but we haven’t felt the need for them in many years at short term events).
- Quick disconnect Order and Pick-up service counters double as drinks display.
- Quick disconnect marine stainless steel receptacles for lightweight aluminum vertical signage frames.
- Dual Dometic/A&E Awnings with anti-flutter clamps – 11’ long extending up to 6’ on both sides.
- Custom made fold down/fold up aluminum window coverings double as back of house work counter, front end condiment table (adjustable with turn-buckles for variable angle trailer placement), front signage receptacles and all around travel security..
- Many thousands of $$$ were spent professionally restoring the gleaming, polished aluminum finish, one the Silver Streak Café’s biggest draws!
STRUCTURE - INSIDE
- Original floor re-capped and sealed with marine plywood.
- Slip resistant diamond plate aluminum floor sealed with silicone and installed with stainless steel screws.
- Diamond plate, fully coved and sealed floor corners per CURFFL standards.
- Corner drainage holes installed for flush cleaning.
- Custom made heavy duty aluminum work counter and shelves installed and sealed per CURFFL standards.
- Decorative interior stainless steel pillow panels front and rear for vintage café look.
- Custom made front bench seat with 12v and 120v electrical panels and massive storage.
- Full length front bench seat padded with Ensolite closed cell foam – everyone needs a comfortable place to stretch out and to rest sometimes!
- Multiple paper towel dispensers strategically places for any work station.
- Light weight wire rack storage for lightweight supplies including:
- Top Rack: Paper 16oz hot cups – 1000 capacity.
- Bottom Rack: Plastic 16oz cold cups – 1,500 capacity.
- Various Other Racks and hanging baskets: Straws, lids, teas, products, hot dog buns, signage, etc.
- Light weight/heavy duty black powder coated NSF approved wire rack under counter storage for an amazing amount of heavy supplies (water, soda, Gatorade, etc.)
- Behind sink storage for cleaning supplies, sealed per CURFFL.
- Custom made Milgard windows and screens throughout according to CURFFL mandated standards and sizes, lockable for security and lightly tinted to keep things cool inside.
- CURFFL mandated escape window (sheesh!) opposite door which doubles as bottled/canned drinks display.
All is commercial grade and (National Sanitation Foundation) including:
- Two VitaMix commercial blenders.
- Extra VitaMix container jar.
- Custom built (per CURFFL standards), three station, coved sided, stainless steel utility sink with dual drainage boards.
- Stainless steel hand wash sink.
- Insulated and drainage plumbed, stainless steel in-counter ice container.
- Italian made Ariston water heater with 4 gallon capacity.
- Single element 5-micron Coconut Shell Carbon Block external water pre-filtration system.
- Dual element internal water filtration system – 5-micron spun polypropylene sediment filter and 5-micron Coconut Shell Carbon Block chemical filter. (new in 2006)
- More than 200’ of marine/food grade white hoses: 2-50’, 4-25’, 1-10’, 1-3’.
- Wide variety of hose fittings and adaptors for any number of potential locations.
- Frosty Factory Frozen Drink Machine (blended mochas, frozen margaritas, etc.)
- Three commercial grade Curtis coffee brewers.
- Lightweight aluminum 5 gallon hot water heater/dispenser (tea, hot chocolate, etc.).
- Hot coffee storage – two insulated 5 gallon Cambro containers.
- Hot coffee/water storage – 4 one quart counter top pump type air pots
- Cold coffee (or?) - 5 gallon Igloo container.
- Cold food storage – Igloo cooler with padded bench seat.
- Ice storage – Igloo cooler.
- Cold drinks for self-serve customers – Igloo cooler.
- Under counter freezer/refrigerator.
- Giant Red Bull can for marketing and self-serve customers.
- Complete Nitro Brewing system with mounted “Guinness Style” Craft Draft spigot.
- Nitro Brew Iced Cold storage – two 5 gallon ball lock kegs.
- Miscellaneous product storage containers and lids.
- Dual burner propane hot dog cooker.
- Two hot dog steamer pots.
- A broad variety of stainless steel kitchen utensils.
In addition to the required NSF approved kitchen equipment is a variety of miscellaneous equipment we’ve acquired over the years to make any event a success, including: 1-6’white folding table for back of house storage/work space, can crusher for recycling (and extra revenue!), a variety of tools and spares, bungee cords, plastic zip ties and just far too many items to list!
Dual independent plumbing systems for pressure fed city water access or pumping from the under floor, 20 gallon holding tank for stand-alone operation.
o Copper pipe and NSF approved stainless steel hoses throughout.
o Inlet barb feeding NSF approved pressure regulated and filtered city water.
o Single element 5-micron Coconut Shell Carbon Block external water pre-filtration system.
o Dual element internal water filtration system – 5-micron spun polypropylene sediment filter and 5-micron Coconut Shell Carbon Block chemical filter.
o More than 200’ of marine/food grade white hoses: 2-50’, 4-25’, 1-10’, 1-3’.
o Wide variety of hose fittings and adaptors for any number of potential locations.
o CURFFLE mandated NSF backflow devices install in both water inlets.
o Shurflo 12v water pump for pressure fed fresh water holding tank.
o Under floor 20 gallon fresh water holding tank.
o Under floor 30 gallon grey water holding tank.
o Health Department / CURFFL approved grey water drainage system.
o Water heater is NSF approved, near instant 4 gallon capacity with 120v power.
o Fire Department approved stand-alone 5 gallon propane tank and hoses.
o Independent 120v electrical system compatible with ground or generator power:
o Honda EU3000is Inverter (gasoline powered generator) with 5 gallon fuel capacity allows for total stand-alone operation during set-up or for smaller events.
o Dual 120v breaker panels with 16 separate circuit breakers and 20 independent GFI outlets – inside and out - allowing for a variety of possible equipment configurations.
o Wall mounted water heater switch, wired to dedicated GFI receptacle.
o Four side 120v interior lighting system with 6 single element housings.
o Four side 120v exterior lighting system with 6 dual element outlets.
o All lighting is low power draw, high lumen fluorescent type.
o Hubbell 50amp Stainless Steel Twist Lock primary power inlet receptacle with 20’ power cable.
o Multiple 50amp Hubbell Twist Lock cable adaptors (x 12 ends at an average price of $150 each!!!) for a variety of possible configurations.
o All electrical wiring was installed by a certified electrical contractor.
o Independent 12v electrical system for stand-alone operation:
o Deep Cycle marine battery – Group 27 - 12v 87 amp hour.
o Intel-Power inverter/converter distribution and breaker panel for 120v/12v charging ability.
o On/Off and lighted wall mounted 12v water pump switch.
o Overhead Thin-Lite (Made in USA!) 12v lighting systems with 5 dual element banks.
o Overhead 3-speed 12v Fan-Tastic ceiling fans (Made in USA!) in three locations.
o Modern 7 wire Reese uniform trailer wiring jack with heavy duty cable for trailer lights and electric brakes.
o Stainless steel tail/brake light receptacles.
o Side marker lamps replaced with modern red and amber LED units.